10 Things for a Good Life
1. Take Action
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” ~ Lao Tzu
No matter how small. Take action today toward something you want.
- Write that post
- Make that phone call
- Get out your sketchbook
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.” ~ quote often attributed to Aristotle.
This is so true. We have to practice living our lives the way we want them to be and like magic they will become the lives we desire to live.
- If we want to have great posture, we have to practice great posture. We have to keep coming back to it. When we notice we are slumping we must notice and come back to it.
- If we want to keep papers from taking over our counters or desks, we have to practice the tasks that will take the paper off those surfaces.
- If we want to be less judgemental, we must pay attention and notice our judgements in order to curb them.
3. The Law of Attraction
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.… ~ Matthew 7:7
- If you look for the bad, that is what you will see.
- If you try finding the good, you will see the good.
- If you don’t do anything, nothing will happen.
- What you focus on grows.
4. Destination or Journey?
If death is the destination. The journey is all of your life leading up to it. Which things do you really want to focus on?
- If you could reflect on your life during your last days on earth, what would you be most proud of?
- What would you regret?
- What would you change if you could?
- What advice would you give to your younger self?
- What would you add, what would you subtract?
5. There is No Judge.
“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.” ~Judy Garland
Stop worrying and ruminating about what people think of you. People are busy thinking about themselves. They are not giving you another thought so quit worrying about it. And if someone is judging you, ask yourself who gives them the right? Certainly not you.
6. It’s Your Life
“To thine own self be true” ~ Shakespeare
Decide what you want your life to look like.
You choose your job, passions, environment.
Strip away all the assumptions and expectations of others. Remove your parents dreams for you and society’s norms. Who do you truly want to be?
- What would your environment look like?
- Where would you live?
- What would you do?
- Who would you spend time with?
7. Practice Being a Good Person
- Be nice
- Be a good listener
- Be honest
8. Quality Over Quantity
- Have a simple life that is meticulously cultivated, or have a cluttered life full of mediocrity.
9. Spend Time In Nature
“Nature never hurries. Atom by atom, little by little she achieves her work.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Nature is powerful and amazing, it can quiet us or excite us.
- When our minds are filled up nature can help to cleanse us.
- Nature shows us perspective. Imagine photos of earth from space when you are having a bad day. It reminds you that in the big scheme of things how very small your worries really are.
10. Lifelong Learning
“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.” ~ Albert Einstein
Lifelong Learning keeps life fresh and your mind tuned up. It keeps you relevant.
- Take an art class
- Take a cooking class
- Take a business class
- Take a meditation class
- Join a book club